Sunday 14 June 2009

Mama Do.. Mama Don't?!


So the next round of Brit-Pop Queen's have arrived. They're sharpening their knives and doing their hair and they want to give our good old girlies a run for their money. Having said that, I for one am just not convinced. Paloma Faith and Pixie Lott. Hmmm.

While Faith's single Stone Cold Sober is being released today in fact, Pixie made it to number 1 just a few hours ago. I am not 100% sure, they deserve our love nor the blogosphere's. I gladly find mostly they have not caused a stir online yet and while I wish them no harm whatsoever, their polished and different sides of the pillow voices are just...lacking.

Make what you will. It is by no means a mean feat to march straight into number 1, ousting the Black Eyed Peas on the same label. I am sure they will both go far.

Pixie Lott is a kind of soulful and tuneful song lady (not songstress) who repeats "Uh oh" a lot. Her MySpace fare is actually preferable in my opinion and it veers towards Jordin Sparks. There will be more from (P I X I E <3>)

Paloma Faith and her more 'heartfelt' rhythms harking from Hackney truly mark the beginning of the punk-blues that Amy Winehouse graced us with a while back. Her squeaky if powerful voice has plenty of potential but iffy lyrics don't make the most of it. That's not to say she doesn't try, in her single she is:

"wilder than the wind...You think I'm crazy, a little bit hazy/But I'm stone cold sober," - Right. These kind of semi righteous words back up her mix n match style sense but I don't think she pulls it off. In any case, it reminds me of a NHS teenage alcoholic campaign. Just peruse her MySpace for more 'information'. But in her defence, she was in St Trinians and worked with Basement Jaxx.

"I fly sometimes, sometimes I land with a thud. I am never what you think as I am multiple. Sometimes what isn't said is more powerful than what is." - ?!

I'll stick with Elly Jackson (La Roux), Little Boots and even Florence & The Machine, despite TheGirlWithThorn's weighty dismissal!

Peruse & abuse:

Pixie Lott - Mama Do (Linus Loves Radio Edit) (y.s.i)
Paloma Faith - Broken Doll (y.s.i)

3 comments:

Polly Ester said...

It was not a weighty dismissal!!

I'm taking a rain check and not getting my brollie out.

.x.

Anonymous said...

Everything you say has weight! But it was a bit of a dismissal, don't you like paloma?

Polly Ester said...

That's like asking me whether I like Jammie Dodgers...I admire her sass but I wouldn't have her in my cup of tea.