Thursday 7 May 2009

Weeks makes my knees go weak.

Harriet.
The Maccabees.

I just received The Maccabees' sophomore album, Wall of Arms, in the post. I have no words in my vocabulary to explain how happy I am, so friggiexcitihappilla! The wailing voice of Orlando Weeks bypasses my ears and pounds my heart extra-hard to the beat of Sam Doyle's drummings and the two White brothers' strummings. agh, I could sink into a whirlpool to Seventeen Hands (Track 10 on Wall of Arms). 
If you can remember their debut back in 2007, Colour It In, with its highly charged staccato beats and freneticism, then Wall of Arms hasn't detached itself entirely from this sound but it can't be denied that they've expanded. There are intros in the majority of the songs, so now they work themselves into the frenzy of excited, pained songs that I enjoyed so much from their last album. The mood is still brooding, but now there's an atmosphere of it, which creates the kind of heartfelt pop that's sure to help found this Summer's "sound".

Enjoy sensibly: The Maccabees - Seventeen Hands (y.s.i.)

.x.

2 comments:

Yas said...

You Make Noise I Make Sandwiches is a great little EP I recommend you listen to

MLK. said...

mmmm milk

thanx 4 the track x