Tuesday 5 May 2009

My doodles used to be hearts.

The Big Pink.

This post is more therapeutic for me than anything. I've been listening to a song of theirs over and over again for the past week or so to the point that I'm afraid that, if I have one more listen, I'll become sick of it.  

When The Big Pink were announced as part of the BBC Sound of 2009 selection, I really didn't see the attraction. They seemed like a less melodic MGMT with whining. BUT I stand corrected, it's grown on me - in a big way.
The Big Pink appeal to my grunge inclinations as well as shoe-gaze ones. With a fusion of scuzz music from the likes of The Jesus and Mary Chain and the electronic beats of artists such as The Chemical Brothers, The Big Pink draw comparisons from the early 90s, late 80s. However, Robbie Furze and Milo Cordell do it bigger, better and more concisely to create the kind of atmospheric psychadelic rock that's welcomed by fans of Telepathe and the like. Their second single, Velvet, encompasses this all and has the lyrics "These arms are mine, don't mind who they hold", which I'm often caught singing when alone. 

The song in question: The Big Pink - Velvet (y.s.i.)

"My doodles used to be hearts, and my hearts were never broken. But now I draw arrows, as if to pierce my own." 

.x.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Curve is the band name that they're being compared to a lot. unexpected but interesting choice. try it.