Wednesday 1 April 2009

Free love?

Boom Festival (a real festival) '08

It's ticket-buying time for this summer's music festivals and, although I'm not going to any of the big ones because I'm travelling, I somehow managed to get a little caught up in the frustration, despair and over-zealous gloating that is the process of buying a ticket. It's horrible. It really makes you question how we value our music when people are willing to tout spare tickets for a huge profit meaning that many genuine fans are then unable to go. Where's the free love of the 70s gone? I'm not saying that festivals should be free, it is after all "the music business", but the emphasis should be on the music and not the business part. Am I an idealist? Probably.
Although I don't have the ability to give away free tickets to this summer's top festivals I can maybe make your day a bit better by revealing some music to you...

Röyksopp's album Junior is a bit of a corker and this track, with vocals by last year's Scandinavian indie darling, Lykke Li, is quite a mechanical song but enchanting all the same.Röyksopp -Miss It So Much (featuring Lykke Li)
Local Natives were many people's "find" of SXSW '09 and I concur that there is something very special about their music. It's along the line of a more up-tempo Fleet Foxes and Grizzly Bear.
Local Natives - World News

Pete Yorn's songs burst with so much emotion that you can't help to feel nostalgic for something or other when you listen because it's penned so beautifully and sung so heart-breaking-ly. Pete Yorn - Don't Wanna Cry

I'm afraid the links have since been removed. However, ask and you shall receive and I've put links to relevant sites.
.x.

No comments: