Tuesday 11 October 2011

colorblinded by cruel intentions.


Dawn Golden & Rosy Cross recently recorded the Crows’ “Colorblind,” a song from 1999′s This Desert Life that was featured prominently in the film Cruel Intentions. So what’s the reason for getting behind the Crows? Is there just not enough Crow love these days?

“There really isn’t a good answer for this,” Dawn Golden principle Dexter Tortoriello tells Hive. “When I was a kid I despised that ‘Mr. Jones’ song and really never heard anything else of theirs. ‘Colorblind’ was a track that really surprised me. The lyrics are incredibly poignant, and the composition was simple and pretty.” Tortoriello transforms the rather straight forward rock tune into something haunting while retaining elements of the original melody. “As most of my songs come about, I was sitting in my bedroom playing piano and it just sort of happened,” he says. “I wanted to add an intensity to the song that isn’t really there in the original, which is where the screeching feedback and distorted synthesizers came into play. My main goal is to take the more abrasive elements of music and noise and present them as a means to summon beauty and despair in a way they usually don’t.”
Counting Crows - Colorblind (Dawn Golden and Rosy Cross Cover)

No comments: